Wednesday 28 October 2015

Skate America 2015- Pairs

I left my discussion of the pairs event to last because it was far and away the best event. The pairs event was a nail biter in the best possible way. I didn't know exactly what the outcome would be, and there were multiple outcomes that I would've been happy with.

Almost all of the pairs skated very well. There were not any huge mistakes, especially not from the top teams, and so the event was more exciting and more interesting.

Wenjing Sui and Cong Han won the event here. They have two quads, one twist and one throw, but they only did the twist. I would've loved to see the throw in competition, but clearly they didn't need it to win. They are amazing skaters, and I like their programs, but I don't like their short quite as much as last year's Stray Cat Strut. That said, the showdown between them and Duhamel and Radford will be intense, and I genuinely don't know who will come out on top.



Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim won the short program, but finished in second. They had pretty strong skates, but the quality of the elements didn't match up to Sui and Han's. They had some more mistakes than Sui and Han, but their programs are quite good, and they have some very good elements.



Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau made a great start on the Senior Grand Prix circuit. They finished in third at Skate America, behind two of the top teams in the world. For new seniors, this is a pretty great feat for them. I'm not in love with their short, but I have a feeling it'll grow on me. It's not even that I hate it, I just don't love it.



Stolbova and Klimov had a very dissapointing short they couldn't recover from. Though they had the second best freeskate, they finished in fourth. I don't love their programs, they don't have the energy and aren't as dynamic as past programs, like the Aadams Family from 2 years ago, or last year's programs. Also, her costumes are awful.



No comments:

Post a Comment