Wednesday 3 February 2016

Canadian Nationals 2016- Dance

When Weaver and Poje do their new(ish) short dance, I see an improvement every time, and I think that is going to benefit them in the long run. They are on the right trajectory, they're performing better and better over the season in general, but I don't think they're going to win that world title I'm sure they're dying for. With all their performances this season and what we've seen from others, I definitely see them on the podium, but I definitely think that there are quite a lot of teams that could be on the podium, in any position, depending on their skates at Worlds and the judging panel. Weaver and Poje stand a chance at winning the world championships, but I would say it's more likely we'll see them in second or third again.



Gilles and Porier stand out in the best way for me. They have very original programs which stand out among the traditional, somewhat bland programs we're seeing this year. I still don't get their programs, but I don't have to. I still stick to the theory that their short dance is based on the conspiracy theory behind the song Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds. Their freedance is also very original, and regardless of whether or not you completely get the story they're telling, it is eye-catching and original enough to hold your attention in a way so many programs don't do this season.



Orford and Hill are a team I am loving to watch. For such a new team, it is amazing to me that they mesh so well together. Their programs are beautiful, and though traditional, I am more than willing to give them a pass because they are a brand new team, and in the first season, teams need to play it safe to make it onto their national team. On top of needing to be traditional, Orford and Hill do this very well. Personally, I find their Theory of Everything freedance tells the story better than Hawayek and Baker, even though I still don't want to see another Theory of Everything program again unless she lifts him by the end of the program to both tell the story and stand out.


Paradis and Ouellette are really nice skaters. They do the Ravensburger very well, it's light across the ice, which is how it should be done. Their technical balance is good, they are able to achieve levels on their lifts without overdoing the number of positions, so she doesn't look like she's rolling around in his arms, which has become a common trend in ice dance this season.



Paul and Islam were really disappointing at nationals, they just weren't able to do their programs with the quality they are capable of. I really like them, but they are not living up to their potential. This isn't the first time they've had issues on a lift, and this is starting to become a trend. They don't have the impact that they could have, especially when they have technical failings like they did here. Honestly, as much as I like them, I would have had them behind Orford and Hill, who I think were much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment